Wednesday, September 26, 2012

26.2 Miles

Craig did it!  He ran a marathon.  I am so proud of him.  What an accomplishment!  I kept thinking of my half marathon as he was running his full.  And I realized, it isn't like eating a full cookie instead of a half, even though you are full.  And it is not like deciding to run 2 miles instead of 1.  We're talking running for 4 hours straight.  We're talking running the half marathon, and then turning around and running back to the start.  Wow.

They ran the first 14 miles down Blacksmith Fork canyon in Providence, UT.  Spectators could begin to watch there, at mile 14.  Craig was looking great! (It was at this point that I realized he had already run farther than I did in my whole race, and he still had at least 2 more hours to go.)
Mile 14
We saw him again at mile 17ish and then mile 20, and then we went to the finish line to make sure we had time to park and get there before he did.

Calder and Grandma Maughan waiting to see Craig run by.
He said he hit a major wall at mile 21, and that the last 5 miles were probably harder than the first 21.  I felt a little bad that we weren't there to cheer him on during those tough miles.
Big finish!
But he did it!  He finished!!  Way to go, Craig!!
I asked him for a victory pose and this is what he gave me.

2 comments: