Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Grandma Slagowski

My Sweet Grandma passed away this past Monday.   She hadn't been doing very well for quite a while, and she was very ready and excited to be reunited with my Grandpa.   Even though we were all anticipating it, it is amazing how much it hurts to see her go.

The last year, I have been reading through some of her poems that she has put together.  I have loved reading her deepest, most sincere feelings about a myriad of things - but mostly about being a mother, wife, and about her gratitude for the Savior.  She has such a close relationship with our Savior, and has so much faith, she has been such a good example to me. 
MY KING
Had I been standing there
and heard them shout,
"Crucify Him! Crucify Him!
We have no King but Ceasar,"
I'm sure I would have stepped forth
and said, "He is MY King!"
Even had it meant my life 
I could,
for He's my Everything.

But I may never have 
that one grand moment
to stand alone
and claim Him as my King - 
no chance,
in one great act of love,
however sweet,
to lay my life
on the alter at His feet.

Rather, in little ways,
day in, day out,
my love is shown.

In everything I do or say, 
I either claim him as my King
or stand there with the crowd 
and shout
"I have no King but Caesar!"
 - Leotha Slagowski

These poems probably don't mean too much to anyone else reading, but I am writing them down to help me remember her pure heart.
HERE AM I
Jesus, our Redeemer
in the mansions 
of our Father,
long before
this earth was framed,
we dwelt with Thee.
And when our Father
taught us of His plan
and told us one must die,
a sinless sacrifice for sin,
to bring us home again,
Lord God of all,
we saw Thee stand
and heard Thee say,
"Here am I; send me."

Never, ever
throughout eternity
can I repay the debt
I owe, dear Lord,
to Thee.
But down here 
in mortality,
where men thirst 
to hear thy word
and there is so much 
want and need, 
surely I can stand and say,
"Here am I; send me."
- Leotha Slagowski

My grandma served as a missionary six times.  Her first was as a stake missionary in Arizona, then as a full time missionary in the Mexican Mission.  After raising her family, she served a Family History Mission, then served alongside my Grandpa in the Austria Vienna Mission.  Their particular assignment was to reopen the work in Poland while it was still behind the Iron Curtain.  My grandparents served an inner-city mission in Salt Lake City and then served in the Texas Houston East Mission in Jennings, Louisiana.  She also served in the Bountiful Temple for three years.

She lived about 4 miles from our house here in Bountiful, so the last year and a half, I was able to visit her fairly regularly.  She would always just love to watch Calder play, and would just tell me how beautiful Calder is.  She LOVED him!  The last time we saw her in the hospital, they told us that she could hear what we were saying, but she couldn't respond.  Her eyes would stay closed.  But when we were telling her goodbye, Calder started to wave to her.  I told her what he was doing, and she opened her eyes to see him.  A precious moment- I am glad she got to see her little Calder one more time.  


Grandma was happiest when she was surrounded by her family - even as chaotic as all of us are.  She raised 7 kids.  6 boys, and 1 girl. I think she really savored every moment with her kids.  

THE ROSEBUD
Anxious mom,
don't push the petals 
of the rose apart
before it's time!
A bud is such a precious,
lovely thing - 
and yours to treasure
such a little while.
Hold it tenderly.
Let it unfold 
to it's full glory
naturally,
according to God's plan.

Can't you see
it will wither
in your hand
if forced to bloom
too soon?
- Leotha Slagowski

A LIFTER
Oh, let me be a lifter.
May those who cross my path
go on their way
built up in self-esteem,
renewed in self-respect.
Teach me to understand 
that each person
is a child of God
with inherent potential,
beloved of Him
as much as I.
Help me to accept people
where they are
and how they are,
to always be aware
that tender feelings
need tender care.
Let me be generous
in praise
and quick to recognize
the smallest effort.
May I be the first to say, 
"I am so proud of you!"
Oh, let me be a lifter.
- Leotha Slagowski

Grandma, you were definitely a lifter.  I am sure it was a glorious reunion when you went home.  Thank you for the wonderful legacy you have left.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Becca, I am so sorry for your families loss. She was a wonderful woman! I remember meeting her and she was so sweet! Hope you guys are doing ok! Let me know if you need anything! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear she passed away. What a poignant poet she was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear she passed away. I hope you are doing okay. Thank you for sharing her poetry!

    ReplyDelete