Friday, August 31, 2012

Half Marathon Birthday

Sometimes I surprise myself a little.

Last Saturday was my 25th birthday (on the 25th of August!).  About 4 months prior, Craig and I had a few days where we were feeling perhaps a little overly-confident and a little crazy, and we signed up- me for the Top of Utah Half Marathon, and Craig for the Top of Utah Marathon. (His race is still to come.) And the Summer of Running began!  And while I can't say that I loved my training runs, I have to say that having a specific goal and purpose for running really helped it to be semi-enjoyable.  Before this summer, the farthest I had ever run was probably just a little longer than a 5k. It was kid of exciting (once the longer training runs began) to break my personal records (for the longest distance I have ever run) almost every week.

But I was still nervous about the actual race.  In training, I had only ever run a little over 10 miles, and I did pretty well, but a Half Marathon is 13.1, so I was a little apprehensive about adding on an extra 3 miles.

Craig did a great job making sure that I was hydrated, had enough sleep, and that all my stuff was ready to go.  My uncle Brent had previously given some advice. He said to start at the back of the pack, so you don't have to fight with the crowds (because you are all timed individually with a chip on your running bib, so it doesn't really matter when you cross the start line) and that way you can pass people the whole way. (which sounds kinda silly, but it does great things for your confidence as you are running!)  Turns out, it was super good advice, and I would give the same advice to anyone else running.

So Saturday morning came, and nervousness turned to excitement!  I felt great through the whole race, only walking during the water stations at mile 3, 6, 9, and 11.  And I finished, and enjoyed it.  Every minute.  That was the surprising thing to me!  I guess there is something about running with 2,000+ people.  There is so much energy in the air, it is contagious.   And it feels good to check off a big accomplishment (for me).

I came in at 2 hours, 21 minutes. But I subtract 5 minutes from that time because I spent 5 minutes waiting in line for a port-a-potty at mile 6.  You do what ya gotta do. :) So really, it was 2 hours and 16 minutes.  That is a little over 10 minute miles.  Slow, but that is what I was planning on.

This is the last 100 yards
Who knows, maybe if there is another summer when timing works out well, I may find myself signing up for another Half Marathon.
After the race
The rest of the day way great, too!  I ended up winning a 2 man tent in the raffle after the race.  And then we spent the rest of the day with Craig's family. His sister gave me a haircut, and they watched Calder so Craig and I could go on a date that night, and then enjoyed delicious cake and ice cream with his family afterwards.

What a memorable birthday!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Becca! That's impressive. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Becca! Too bad we aren't neighbors, I think we'd be perfect running partners..

    ReplyDelete